Saturday, October 25, 2008

PSA: To Kristina

Hon, I don't know you, which makes it all the more curious that you're emailing me about your quest.

I'm afraid, too, that I can't advise you on "looking for a good men, to love," as the subject line of your email requests. I can tell you that you might want to start singular, and work up to plural once you've got that down.

I can also advise you that good men appreciate proper capitalization, punctuation and article agreement. As a former writing center tutor, I recommend changing your subject line to "I'm looking for a good man to love." They'll know what you mean, and you won't cripple your chances at finding a good man, if you pay attention to these kinds of details.

You may also want to delete the words "bigger PENIS" from the text of your email. I understand that this eliminates all content, but sometimes you've just got to think of something more subtle in your search for a good man. More alarmingly, repeating this phrase with no other content implies either that you, yourself, have a penis -- a turn-off for most hetero men -- or that you are complaining or will complain about the members of the men you are dating or will date, which is no way to win a good man (or men) to love.

Win them over with grammar and a modicum of etiquette, in other words.

Good luck.

Sincerely,
Alicia.

No comments: