Friday, October 24, 2008

Local Trivia: Great SCOTT.

I got a call from someone campaigning for Scott Saunders today. Thinking it was a political poll, I was glad to hear "it will take less than one minute" -- my opinion gets counted for the good, and is using less than one cell phone unit-of-time, I thought. (Since cell phone "minutes" are actually 58 seconds, at least with Sprint.)

"Are you supportive of your current state representative, Betty Boukus?" the southern-twanged voice asked. (I should have asked him where he was calling from.)

"I'm pretty neutral," I said.

"So you're somewhat supportive or somewhat unsupportive?"

"Somewhat supportive."

He asked if I knew Scott Saunders was running in my state senate district. I said I did. The man's billboards and mailings are everywhere. (EVERYwhere. I'm surprised there aren't stickers on my bathroom mirror when I look at myself in the morning -- or on my face.)

"Would you change your mind if you found out Scott Saunders will create jobs while reducing excess government spending?" the pollster/campaigner asked, and I caught what he was throwing at me. I'd pegged him as an independent poll caller until then.

"I think that's a mischaracterization of his position," I said. (I actually said this.) "I mean, no one's going to argue against more jobs or less government, but I think the issue is actually a lot more complicated than that."

"Okay, thank you," the guy said, wished me a nice day, and hung up.

I have no idea what he would have rated my response on a five-point scale -- but maybe they have some other, N/A answer, like "s/he's onto us."

Scott Saunders' actual position, which I know from the billboards and mailings, is as a gas-tax-cap man. He doesn't seem to have positions on anything else; he just wishes gas was cheaper. (Today I paid $2.69/gallon for gas, so there goes that platform.) If these are his ideas for bringing more jobs and whittling down government, count me out (of the country. Canada, here I come).

No comments: