Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Local Trivia: Charles River, Waltham

Sunday, as Sharon and I walked along the lovely Charles River -- no, wait, let me start over.

Sunday, as Sharon and I walked along the opaque black Charles River running through Waltham -- past the brown-watered dam and over a bridge that gave us a great view of Charles' soapy, foamy surface sliding over said oily blackness, we began to see miniature icebergs making their way to wherever the Charles River goes.

The apparent ice floes, we decided, couldn't be actually ice, since it was at least 60 degrees outside. The alternative was some kind of foam.

But what kind of foam? And what was it doing there?

Sharon conjectured that the foamy residue near the dam area built up on tree branches or rocks until it had formed these large cumulus-like masses, which then drifted down the river at random but steady intervals. We watched probably 20 of them pass us on a small dock along the riverside.

Anyone sciency or lousy with Charles-River-knowledge (that is, full of it, not bad at it), please tell us all whether this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

2 comments:

Sara said...

I can see this from my office window right now. Not the mysterious foam; haven't seen that. Just the murky Charles as it trickles through Waltham. I'm not a huge fan of Waltham. No hate, but not much love. We've been together too long, I think. I just don't see us lasting.

Alicia said...

Ah ha...I thought you might be able to see the Charles. Its Styx-like darkness really kind of creeped me out the other day. I've never seen water run BLACK before.

I don't know about the foam floes. I thought they might be a one-time deal, perhaps created by someone throwing those eggshell mattresses into the Charles farther up the river -- but that's at least as ludicrous as anything else I could come up with to explain it.

I've liked Waltham the few days I've spent there, though that was always with good friends in a stellar apartment more than on-the-town. For the town, I think I may prefer Cambridge.

: )