Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Falling Away

Fall is my favorite season.

I've always had it narrowed down to fall and spring, the two seasons with change and a sense of motion in the atmosphere. I haven't really known why fall seemed better to me; I've mostly chalked it up to a macabre obsession with dying. I've always been closer to the Thanatos of fall than Spring's overzealous Eros.

This morning, a TMNT-green leaf (seriously, it reminded me of a Ninja Turtle) zipped straight at my car and got caught in my windshield wipers for a second before flying off again like it had somewhere to go. I thought about how little I would have cared about a green leaf if it were still attached to its tree, or if the other leaves lining the highway were all still green.

It occurred to me that fall is the only time leaves become unique and independent.

Maybe that's why I like it.

No comments: