Monday, October 13, 2008

PSA: Mushrooms CAN get moldy.

As I sorted through a package of "fresh, clean sliced mushrooms" this evening, trying to pick out the ones that had gone a bit slimy, it occurred to me to wonder what happens to mushrooms when they go bad.

I mean, I think slimy is bad enough, really, and don't want to know what the next step would be -- but I wondered if mushrooms, being a fungus, go moldy. (Like the other junk in my fridge I refuse to throw away until it's way, way, way too late.)

I was going to ask here and wait for a response from you, my super-smart friends, when the voice of my editor popped into my head: "Have Joan Didion and I taught you nothing? You should be getting answers to some of these questions!"

Darn right, I thought, then groaned at the Palin reference. So I looked it up.

They can, according to answerbag.com. Mushrooms can get moldy.

Now we know.

No comments: