Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Songs That Lloyd Dobler Would Have Been Better Off Playing, If It Had Been Me

“Here Comes the Flood” by Peter Gabriel (Technically the version I know wasn't out until 1990, but my favorite choice.)
“Kyrie” by Mr. Mister
“Time After Time” by Cyndi Lauper
“Opportunities (let’s make lots of money)” by Pet Shop Boys
“Days Are Numbers (The Traveller)” by Alan Parsons Project

For a remake:
“I Grieve” by Peter Gabriel
“Rest” by Skillet
“Mad World” by Gary Jules
“Birdhouse in Your Soul” by They Might Be Giants
“The Old Apartment” by Barenaked Ladies
“Last Beautiful Girl” by Matchbox Twenty
“Cannonball” by Damien Rice
“Galileo” by The Indigo Girls
“Fair” by Remy Zero
“All Over You” by Live

For the foreign, dubbed versions:
“Dui Mien de Nu Hai Kan Guo Lai” by Richie (Trans: “Look at me, pretty girl over there”)
“Cowboy Virtuel” by Roch Voisine
“Inevitable” by Shakira

1 comment:

Alicia said...

No, Haterz, I'm not saying I don't like "In Your Eyes," which is a fine song.

It's all about irony--and anyone showing up in my driveway with a boombox had better be intending it as irony, or I'm calling the cops.

"I Grieve," for instance, is not only a beautifully intriguing song; it's also contextually inappropriate; it's from the soundtrack of my most hated "romantic" movie, City of Angels; and it's eight minutes long.