Sunday, March 15, 2009

Manual For How To Deal With Fame: Preface

Ever since last year's “Oh, Bitchuary.”, I’ve been concerned with the welfare of our beloved celebrities, who seem to go crazy as soon as they’re affirmed as “famous.”

Heath Ledger dying of a sleeping pill overdose brought the issue into even more poignant focus over the summer. It’s clear his judgment was clouded severely by the pressures of celebdom, no less by the fact that he took too many pills as by the more obvious, glaring error of being in the presence of Mary Kate Olsen. (I mean, any of us could have accidentally downed too many sleeping pills, but how many of us would ever end up in the same room with MKO?)

Alan Moore pointed out what I think is the real issue, here, which is that people who are famous don’t have a manual for how to deal with fame.

I’ve decided to help them out, in sporadic installments. Here are my first three “how to” instructions on dealing with fame.

Eventually, I expect famous people to start sending me money for this service, since they have so much of it. But for now, the advice I provide is free.

No comments: