Monday, August 18, 2008

The year is 28 A.F.Z.

Inspired in part by my email account's constant insistence that I'm sending my emails four hours later, and in part by a half-viewing of what is now the weirdest movie I've ever seen half of (yes, weirder even than the Institut Benjamenta from writing seminar), I propose a set of entirely new, personal calendars.

Our Gregorian calendar, though popular, is not the only game out there. Thailand, for instance, is in the year 25xx something, counted from the year the country began (according, I suppose, to popular history). And we're postmodernists. So why not change it up a little?

And why not count from whenever we want -- especially since most experts agree that Jesus was born around 4 or 6 A.D., not the year 0 as we suppose -- no matter how ridiculous?

My new calendar will count from the first showing of the 1980 movie The Forbidden Zone, and will accordingly be abbreviated A.F.Z.

I'll let you know when I've figured out what day our New Year's falls on.

No comments: