Sunday, January 11, 2009

PSA: We've seen the new Dear Abby, and she's us.

Letter in response to "New Mom," who reports being bored with playing with her 8-month-old all day:

"DEAR ABBY: I enjoyed caring for my children, but there were times when I thought if I had to drive one more toy car across the carpet making car noises with my mouth, I would literally fling myself out the window. I woke up with the Barney theme song in my head and couldn't stop cutting all food into bite-size pieces. How many games of peek-a-boo can you play before you wonder if the liquor store delivers? No one prepares you for this type of job.

Things will change as her child gets older, and she can benefit from the support of other moms if she finds a playgroup. Please tell her not to feel guilty!

-- BEEN THERE, DONE THAT (WITHOUT ALCOHOL)


I suggest we all address our concerns and questions to "BTDT" from now on. Her advice is both more salient and more amusing than Abby's ever is.

1 comment:

The Crabby Hiker said...

I've discovered that Abby's advice is . . . well . . .kinda the worst. I really think she's only about 50/50 in giving good advice . . . and I feel my percentage could be better than that. Dear Prudence on Slate has a much better batting average (as does Miss Manners, though the questions are generally less pressing).