Friday, January 30, 2009

PSA: JERKFACE Man kills family because he's a JERK.

Another murder-suicide in the news caught my attention today, and I realized I'd never made it clear to the world exactly how pissed off these make me.

A man shot and killed his wife and two young children, Abigail (8) and Jimmy (5), then turned the gun on himself.

Well, at least he got that one thing right.

He left a suicide note, though police aren't disclosing the contents.

I don't even care what it says.

If this man were still alive, I would likely have to be tied down to keep myself from smacking him, hard and repeatedly (as in, for hours, until my fingers bleed) across the face.

I'm of the opinion that suicide is a self-centered act, in that suicide victims often describe their lives in terms of how terrible they are -- so terrible that they can't be allowed to live -- and how much pain they're in. I believe that suicidal people are in that much pain, and that they do believe themselves to be "evil," or unworthy of continuing to live. I mean, I've been there.

And I have a reserve of mercy for people who can't summon the supernatural amounts of discipline (and grace, and luck) it takes to get out of that mindset.

But when your mentality extends beyond self-destruction to killing other people -- and your family, no less, and your two small children -- in a murder-suicide, you need to choose the lesser of two evils, and reverse that order.

Start with yourself.

No comments: