Friday, August 21, 2009

Universal Trivia: Engage.

I've just put in an order for a Region 0 version of "Star Trek: The Next Generation" the complete series. I can play it because of my Chinese DVD player, which will play anything except Region 1 discs that "The Man" reworked to play only on Region 1 players.

Every episode, including the ridiculous, stupid "The Naked Now" and the awesome, mind-blowing "The Best of Both Worlds, Parts 1-2," will be in it.

I know this because I already own it, on VHS. I got them from Freecycle in DC from a woman who I said "has either broken up with her boyfriend and is giving them away as revenge, or has upgraded to DVD." They'd upgraded.

Anyone who still has a VCR, a love for TNG and the ability to come pick them up, the VHS are yours.

5 comments:

Curious Monk said...

but i can't come get them! (seriously I'd love to have them).

jenny d said...

I can, but I have no place to put them. I don't have room for the movies I already own!

Alicia said...

Hmm. Well, this is a dilemma.

First, let me chastise you, Jenny, and say "you should just get more bookshelves." There are never too many bookshelves.

And secondly, I think I should point out the math involved here: Each videocassette is about 1 1/2" by 7" by 10" or something like that -- they're larger than normal videos because they're in "collector's edition" cases. And there were seven seasons of TNG, and there are about 22 episodes per season (that may be a low average), and there are 2 episodes per video, so that's 77 VHS tapes.

They wouldn't all fit in my VHS trunk, which we used as a coffee table in the apartment senior year. When my housemate and I picked them up in DC, we brought a grocery cart to carry them home in, and it was full.

This is why coming to get them is necessary. Mailing them is not an option.

But maybe there's some kind of dead-drop option. Or other.

jenny d said...

77 tapes?! Holy crap. This is why people invented DVDs. And, no doubt, why you ordered them.

Curious Monk said...

i happen to be on the east coast this week, but my budget certainly constrains me to the greater harrisburg area, so i still can't come get them!

also, they'd make a heck of a carry-on for the flight back.