Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Honey, honey [musical interlude]

Me, explaining why my girl shouldn’t “fill up on sugar” before lunch, especially since she’s sick, re: the candy corn she’s eating: “Those are made entirely of sugar.”

My girl: “They are? No they aren’t.”

Me: “Yes, they are.”

My girl: “I can’t see it.”

Me: “A lot of things have sugar in them that you can’t see. It’s cooked in.”

My girl: “Like pancakes?”

Me: “Yes, pancakes have sugar in them.”

My girl: “Eggs?”

Me: “No, eggs are made of eggs.”

My girl: “You can put your sugar in the eggs.”

Me: “Yes.”

My girl: “Wow, I’m learning a lot today. So far, I’m learning about sugar. Cereal?”

Me: “Mmm hmm.”

My girl: “Oatmeal?”

Me: “Mmm hmm.”

My girl: “Candy…”

Me: “All candy has sugar in it.”

My girl: “Not butterscotch.”

Me: “That has sugar in it.”

My girl: “What about peanuts?”

Me: “Some peanuts have sugar in them if it’s added.”

My girl: “Like these?” [Takes out a packet of honey-roasted peanuts and eats a few.]

Me: “Yes. Save those for after your lunch, too.”

My girl: "Yes, Alicia."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"No, eggs are made of eggs.” This may be my new favorite line.