Thursday, July 3, 2008

Local Trivia: Guess a career in "bag lady" is out of the question.

I went to the local urban Price Rite yesterday evening to pick up some green onion and tofu. After selecting cheater's tofu -- garlic and onion pre-flavored, for those of us who can't make regular tofu taste like any flavor other than "plain" -- and scallions, I went up to the checkout to pay.

I spent the time waiting for the man in front of me to pay for his watermelon section, thinking about whether I should tell the cashier that I didn't need a bag. I only had two things, and I had my purse with me; I usually tell them not to "worry about it" and carry my items out in these situations.

But the girl at the checkout didn't bag my items. She checked them out, then left them there on the belt as though waiting for me to take them away -- in fact, she was waiting for me to take them away.

I picked them up and went out to my car, thinking good for Price Rite.

And good for us.

2 comments:

The Crabby Hiker said...

Though your story could be construed as a "bad job, Price Rite" (that is, if you read the cashier as lazy and not environmentally aware), I feel this little tale more than usual. Here in the South, even though they still sell cloth bags to bag your groceries in, those same bags seem to baffle cashiers (not to mention confuse the indignant self-checker, which so badly wants me to place my items in the disposable bag bagging area). The checker at the walmart, giving me a sidelong glance, said to me, "So those things are really easier, huh?"

The answer is, no. They're not easier. But they sure make less of a mess under my kitchen sink (not to mention the landfill).

Good job, the North.

Alicia said...

Marc tells me Price Rite now has a policy of not giving flimsy plastic bags to customers. It's almost certainly mercenary in intent, but it works out well for the environment, so good for them.

It reminds me of nothing so much as Sainsbury's. : )