Saturday, May 3, 2008

Derbys are better than Bowlers

There are only a few professional sports that I will watch on TV, and most of them hold more of a morbid fascination for me than a genuine "go team go!" interest.

I have watched the X-games. I have seen the Outdoor games, which include caber-tossing. I have watched entire poker tournaments, if that counts as a sport, and I have paused while channel-surfing to see how the bulls are bucking in the PBR.

And I have watched professional bowling. It was at least as boring as you'd think it would be, since everyone got a 300 on every game. I imagine the appeal is similar to NASCAR's -- you're just waiting for someone to mess up -- but without the visceral reaction you get watching a car crash, when someone eventually mis-bowls.

None of these really compare to the Kentucky Derby, which is running today, and which I almost cried at watching last year. Curlin' was just so game.

Tell me how it goes, Derby-watchers. I don't have a favorite horse this year -- but I'm rooting for a Triple Crown.

No comments: