Saturday, April 11, 2009

PSA: The last straws

I brought 150 flexible straws on this trip to Tennessee.

I brought them for drinking Thai iced tea because I'd developed the habit of drinking Thai iced tea through straws specifically in order to "use up" the straws I'd bought in (and had since) college. I finished up the 50 or so of those straws I had left, after donating most of them to the AoH school store, a few weeks ago, but two days ago I found myself searching the box they'd been in for even one more straw.

When I opened the packet of salt, pepper and napkin I'd taken from an airline flight taken in the days when they still served food, to remove the bendy yellow straw from the plastic wrapper, I realized I was addicted.

Subsequently, I bought a packet of 150 multi-colored bendy straws, which, in a fit of packing panic last night, I stuffed into the plastic bag I'd put my most essential items -- pajamas, toiletries, socks -- into for easy transport.

I expect these straws to last me the next 7-10 years, even though I offered some to friend Cheryl's husband Brad, and he accepted. Despite my obvious addiction, I still think of myself as having extra straws.

So if you or your loved ones need bendy straws and are on our TN trip route, let me know. I've got what you're looking for.

1 comment:

brd said...

Oh, now I understand! Good being with you on your trip, even though it would have been better had you brought the bendy straws to the restaurant.