Friday, April 29, 2011

An account of my dream, obviously about the royal wedding

So P.C. and I and a bunch of other people were on this semi-tropical island for a medical conference that was also some kind of modeling competition, and his mother, who in the dream was cruel and spiteful toward all the other women in his life (and therefore played very ably by Angelica Huston, and definitely not his real-life mom), was also there, along with a long list of players who I don't know in real life.

The basic plot of the dream was that P.C. and I were in a solid relationship, but that for some reasons not made perfectly clear, he had to also pretend to be in a relationship sometimes with another woman (doctor) named Jane. And eventually, since he's a nice guy (and in the dream, he was less weird and silly than in real life, which was the first clue), the relationship with Jane began to make me question our relationship.

But there was also a young blond model named Crystal -- not the kind who are waif-thin and annoyingly obsessed with food, but a very cute young woman who was the "life of the party" sort (which was the second clue). P.C. paid some friendly attention to her as well, which in retrospect within the dream, also seemed somewhat alarming to me.

Then I was going to go to a community college in Michigan to study some course that only that community college had, possibly in storytelling. (Which is ridiculous, because the only college that has that course of study in the entire nation is ETSU in Tennessee.) But I wasn't sure I should, since the medical/model conference seemed to be pretty fun and suddenly I wasn't sure if P.C. would end up marrying Jane or not if I left.

Then the news hit: Jane had not been chosen for some sort of medical internship award. She wasn't good enough. Angelica Huston was very cruel, at this point telling her what a terrible person and doctor she was. I witnessed the whole thing -- and learned that Angelica Huston hated Jane at least as much as she hated me (the under-achieving, Michigan-community-college-attending girlfriend) -- but Jane rebuffed my attempts to comfort her at first.

We all went out (this being a semi-tropical island) to hear the presentation of awards along with a marimba concert on the patio area in the back of the very strange hotel we were staying in (third clue), and P.C. was emceeing. I finally cornered Jane -- literally speaking to her right in front of a corner, though one that poked out rather than in, so it shouldn't have trapped her -- and asked if she wanted a hug, which she did. She explained that she'd thought before that I was going to scold her just like Angelica Huston.

In this dream, there was also an ad (this being some kind of model conference) for "Eddy Waters Makeup." I thought even in the dream that this was an extremely clever and inappropriate name for a makeup company.

Then P.C. went up to emcee the ceremony, except that as soon as he started, he pointed back through the crowd along the side of the stage to where Jane and I were standing at a corner, and I knew he was calling Jane up to explain whatever recent work she'd been doing or to extol her virtues and generally redeem her. But she'd already headed toward the stage, so I pointed into the crowd where she seemed to be, and when I saw her step up onto it, I pointed to the spot where she'd disappeared onto stage with the marimba band.

It turned out P.C. hadn't been pointing at her, but at me. And also, he was holding a microphone shaped like a rosebud slightly opened, which he brought directly up to me, too close for me to comment. Luckily, I had nothing to say anyway.

And then he proposed, somehow. The dream logic is vague, but the important thing is that I suddenly realized that our relationship had been solid all along, and if it had ever been in danger from Jane or Crystal or Angelica Huston, it wasn't anymore.

And that was my dream, obviously, about William & Kate. I had that dream instead of watching them get married, though I imagine there'll be coverage available throughout the day, and I'll probably catch some of it.

Good luck to them.

1 comment:

jenny d said...

Are you sure you weren't dreaming about being on The Bachelor?