Friday, June 26, 2009

PSA: Good news, re: Brandeis

Well, in a miraculous stroke of good luck (I can only call it luck since I’ve made so little actual effort to get my Brandeis ducks in a row, if you don’t count excessive worrying about them), I called the financial person for the cultural production program at Brandeis last week to see about either getting more money, or deferring entrance for at least a semester in order to save up enough to pay the difference between Brandeis tuition and my government loans – and she told me that the school simply hadn’t cross-referenced my scholarship with the fact that I’d filled out the FAFSA, which doubled said scholarship. Which made up the difference.

It also increased my prospects of actually starting a master’s program in the fall, and in the field I’d most prefer (be still my bleeding, hippie, liberal-artful heart), by about 50%. Now instead of having to figure out a way to see friend Sharon more than last year while still technically living in Connecticut and working as much as possible, and how to defer entrance into a school I know won’t make me any more money in the long run, I’ve moved on to thinking about potential moving dates, how to get my lease signed over to P.C. (and whether I can keep my name technically on the lease so I don’t have to change my car’s registration and license), and what my schedule will be once school starts.

Will I be able to keep some days a week at my current job, at least until I find one that pays decently in Waltham? How often will I be able to see P.C.? What will my apartment finally look like when I get all this extra stuff out of here and into where it belongs – a study-room/bedroom outpost in Waltham? (Awesome? Or Super-Awesome?)

I finally feel more excited than frustrated about the process.

And I finally feel completely justified in owning all this TV.

2 comments:

Curious Monk said...

It's odd, or perhaps inevitable, that we'd both start grad studies this fall, after six years; i just got my own good financial aid news this week. didn't we agree to application failure together once?

Christina Borel said...

YAY!!! How can I help?