Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hello Gene Cranston.

I've purchased a new old car, the '94 Volvo wagon (teal) I blogged about lo these many days ago. P.C. suggested after our first viewing that it could be named "Gene," a suggestion I took under advisement and finally agreed to after adding "Cranston," a 30 Rock reference that I love.

("Cranston, why won't Kenneth call me back?...Cranston, why are you crying?")

This doesn't mean I've given up the ghost on Betty, who I'd keep in my grandmother's military-issue footlocker heirloom trunk if I could. I'm going to have her towed to my mom's driveway and consider my options from there. While a used transmission with installation might run me $800-900, the rental car I'm getting for this weekend and next just while Gene gets his wheels (and CT registration) under him -- and for traveling to RR '10 -- will cost about a third of that, and from what I hear, Gene may spend more time in the shop than Betty when he needs fixing, as my mechanic says Volvos are harder to diagnose.

Good old Betty. Always knew what was wrong, always got her fixed without trouble.

In an ideal world, Betty and Gene would last me into the next decade. We'll see what the fallen world will get me.

Also, P.C. says he's willing to paint Gene orange if I want. We'll see how he runs first, but that seems pretty promising.

1 comment:

villanellegirl said...

Hey! If you move to Chapel Hill, NC, all the local buses are free!