Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bye Bye Betty?

Well, last week, on the last trip down to CT from Waltham, Betty gave out.

She crossed the border into Connecticut, but didn't make it much farther before what mechanics tell me is her transmission began to make clanking and grinding sounds. She rolls, but it sounds like parts have come loose and are rattling around inside.

So now I've had a week to decide what to do -- get her a new trans or get a new car. Either one is a risk, and my mechanic isn't in favor of ANYthing I can do within my budget ("I wouldn't recommend putting that money into a car that old"; "I wouldn't get a European car, they cost twice as much to maintain"; "no, you're NOT going to find a car with low miles on it for that price").

Betty's blue book value is less than $700, though her value in my heart is much higher. (AWWWW.) A trans rebuild would run about $1800. But her engine is Toyota from her year (1990), which is a great engine in general, and she's only got 130K on her, 60K of which I put on her over the past three years.

I also went to look at a Volvo wagon this morning, which looked pretty spectacular as far as caralities* go. But it had two leaks, making it a risky deal. Buying it would be less than bringing Betty back, but the maintenance might add up to even.

Course, then I'd have two risky cars to choose from...and possibly two broken ones.

Also, this is finals week.

*car personalities

No comments: