Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Local Trivia: Turtle and bunny released into the wilds, which causes me some carver's block.

I recently let loose two "fleas," which are tiny stamps that travel from person to person or person to letterbox or box to person. I promised that when a person "found" both fleas, they would gain access to a clue to another, totally awesome stamp (set). This can be difficult to do, finding two small fleas in an international hobby, so I don't anticipate scads of success.

Still, because these boxes will be so hard to find, I wanted them to be awesome. The two fleas I refer to were a turtle and a bunny, so the mystery box will be on a "tortoise and the hare" theme. I scoured the internet looking for images but stopped immediately when I saw these schematics of Jeff Zugale (L.A. artist)'s submission to the 2009 Steampunk Challenge.

His concept is a reinvention of "The Tortoise and the Hare," which in his telling becomes the tale of a scrappy backyard inventor's success over the efficient and presumably German "Hare" racing and transportation system. Look it over, and marvel at the level of detail.

Then shudder thinking about how on earth I'm going to carve that out of a flat block of 4"x6" pink rubber. And then look at the hare.

I'll stamp and scan them when I'm done.

No comments: