Sunday, September 27, 2009

PSQ: "Slap Bet"

I'm writing a paper on the "Slap Bet" episode of How I Met Your Mother and am trying to form (and prove) a thesis that refers to all kinds of power as fundamentally the same -- social capital, economic capital, phallic power -- in order to show why Barney ends up on the losing end of the slap bet contest (for the next several seasons), and why we think that's funny.

Any theorists anyone knows about who have used Marxist, feminist and psychoanalytic critiques all at the same time?

Or should I just stick to one type of "power"?

I feel a bit like Mr. Casaubon writing his Key to All Mythologies, but with an 8-page limit.

3 comments:

Carl Yost said...

My copy is at my parents' house, so I can't look it up for you, but if you can find this reader --

http://www.amazon.com/Feminism-Philosophy-Essential-Reinterpretation-Application/dp/081332212X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254088086&sr=8-1

-- I know there's several Marxist-feminist-psychoanalytic philosophers included...

Curious Monk said...

well my default response would be to go foucault here, but the synthesis would require you to single space, most likely.

Paul said...

If not for the fact that I would most certainly tempt you to commit plagarism, I would lend you my paper that I wrote when I went through my Feminist Marxist phase in college. The bourgeoise is the man. The man is trying to keep you down. The man. Think about it.