Friday, September 18, 2009

Accusation XII

To the woman driving the black Avalon with MA plates, who drove up behind me in the left-hand lane so fast I didn't even see her coming in the rear-view mirror -- and I check it obsessively -- then flashed her brights at me when I didn't move over (into the car I was passing at 70 mph), then swung into the right-most lane and pulled back in front of the car I was passing and then in front of me, so that my front bumper was three feet from her back one, then slowed down to 65:

1. If you're able to slow down to 65 once you're in front of me, just to "teach a lesson," you didn't need to be going 80 to begin with.

2. You might feel entitled to drive like a jerk, but that doesn't make you the highway equivalent of a kindergarten teacher. It's not your job to "teach [me] a lesson."

3. Your lesson failed because it was stupid. I didn't learn how annoying it is to have someone driving "slowly" right in front of me because a) I didn't choose to drive up on your bumper; you chose to drive on (both of) mine and b) I was going 70, not the exaggeratedly "slow" 65 you decided to go when you "punished" me by driving dangerously.

Eventually, that kind of self-righteous, stupid punishment is going to get you in a car accident.

So here's the one possible silver lining to your "teaching" method: If when you get in that accident, you're going 55 to "teach [whoever] a lesson," instead of the 85 you wish you were going, you might actually survive.

No comments: