Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Local Trivia: Godzilla soon to be unleashed on unsuspecting public.

Well, my dear 3 CU readers, I've been brainstorming a new series of projects based on a T-shirt I recently found 30 copies of at a local Goodwill.

I didn't buy all 30 copies, for reasons I think are obvious on viewing (what you can't see in these photos is the date September 13, 2009 just under the picture), but I did buy one copy for this express purpose: to add in a Godzilla in the background that would explain the pained and somewhat terrified look on the 2009 fun run tee man.

These are the results, of course.



I'm obviously not a professional draw-er, but neither is the guy who wants to draw a cat for you. And that's kind of the point, anyway: philosophically speaking, how could anyone make this fun run shirt (or any fun run shirt, or any of the other pointless t-shirts that can be found at any Goodwill on the planet) a unique and desirable product? And yet how could such a re-fashioning of an essentially unfashionable shirt also be made fun and borderline ironic, admitting its essential unfashionableness at the same time it's being made wearable?

I think the answer is Godzilla. This seems so obvious to me that I can't quite believe I haven't been seeing Godzilla drawn on Goodwill shirts every time I walk into a store since I was old enough to understand sarcasm.

In combination with this drawing-Godzilla-on-Goodwill shirts project, I've been inspired by these "pointless" street signs, which pretty much sum up my take on art, humor and public service. So I've made a few early prototypes of "Godzilla vs. XXX" fliers to post around, which I hope will really solve the questions of who would win in various fights, such as "Godzilla vs. 4 Batmans" or "Godzilla vs. Adam West in a Batman costume and also that kid who played Robin."

I'm sure I'll keep you posted on the developments in both of these interrelated areas, and if there's any demand at all, I'd be happy to post my flier template here, somehow, so you can survey those in your geographic location on the outcome of Godzilla vs. whoever. My long-term plan is to start a new blog just for fliers and shirts, so as to keep those 3 readers (strangers, presumably) who might find the flier on the street, from being frustrated by the years of diverse personal rambling here.

For you guys, more diverse personal rambling to come.

No comments: